Journalism as a career is an attractive option for youngsters especially for those who have a flair for writing and communication and wish to do something for the society.
Journalism has nothing to do with changing the world- as is always believed- it is only a medium between the world and the common man.
If you have a keen interest for news and ability to get the inside information through conversations, then Journalism is the right place for you.
Like, in every field, just an interest will not you to the desired heights, it is important that you possess the necessary skills too.
Listed below is the important skills required to be a successful Journalist
The most important skill needed to be a journalist is the ability to communicate the message to the public at large, accurately and efficiently.
Good knowledge about current affairs and especially about the beat (topic) which is assigned.
Inquisitive and investigative mind along with alertness, confidence, enthusiasm, patience and the ability to differentiate between fact and fiction are some more qualities required to be a journalist.
Journalism is not just about writing, it is also about reading and most importantly, the ability to express one’s thoughts on varied topics.
It is for people who are ready to explore various opportunities 24/7, without any constraints.
In short the person should be:
- Good in language and vocabulary
- Updated with current affairs
- Efficient in meeting deadlines
- Quick in responding to happenings
- Keen interest for news
Journalism course can be done either after 12th or after graduation. No certificate courses or diploma courses are available.
Journalism courses are also available and post graduation levels.
To pursue journalism as career, one can take up a Bachelor’s course in mass communication or mass media or journalism after 12th.
After bachelors, one can also pursue Master’s in Journalism or Mass Communication, or Post Graduate Diploma in Journalism or Mass Communication.
A graduate from any field who wishes to be a journalist can also opt for a postgraduate course in journalism after bachelors.
Top Colleges for study in Journalism:
- Editworks School of Mass Communication – Noida, Uttar Pradesh
- National Institute of Mass Communication and Journalism – Ahmedabad, Gujarat
- National Institute of Mass Communication – New Delhi, Delhi
- Xavier Institute of Communications – Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Indian Institute of Mass Communication – New Delhi, Delhi
- IAAN School of Mass Communication – New Delhi, Delhi
- Institute of Mass Communication Film and Television Studies – Kolkata, West Bengal
- HINT Institute of Mass Communication – Ghaziabad, Uttar
- Centre for Mass-Communication And Video-Graphy-Kolkata, West Bengal
- Maulana Azad National Urdu University (MANUU) – Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh
- Manorama School of Communication- Kottayam, Kerala
- Asian College of Journalism- Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Jamia Millia Islamia- New Delhi
Tips and Advise:
Depending on the interest, one can choose various beats (topics) to work as a journalist. To name few – crime, politics, civic, health, features,finance, environment- are some of the beats.
Newspapers, magazines, websites and content providing agencies are the places wherein a journalist can work and make career.
The most important thing to keep in mind is that once you become a journalist, you remain a journalist for the rest of the life. So if you can dedicate yourself to that commitment, then only should you think journalism as a career option.
(The author of the article Ms. Raina Assainar is a journalist by profession who has worked for leading news papers of the country)