I want to study in maths & make career in that field
Sir, I am in the engineering final year, but now confused and fearful about future? I didn’t take engineering seriously but lots of interest in maths. So can you plz suggest about my career in maths field.
You have options of doing your higher studies in maths like Mphil or PhD, from institutes like –
- TIFR – Tata Institute of Fundamental Research
- IMSc – Institute of Mathematical Sciences (IMSc)
- HRI – Harish Chandra Research Institute
- Indian Statistical Institute
- IISERs – Indian Institutes of Science Education and Research
- NISER – National Institute of Science Education and Research
- CMI – Chennai Mathematical Institute
- ISRO – It has its institution for research studies at Thiruvananthapuram
- Universities – All State and Central Universities
Even though for PhD one is required to complete Masters level (MSc), but few of these institutes have an Integrated-PhD courses, which accommodates engineering degree holders.
Further, Statistics is also one good option, as the future is all about data, and data / statistical analytics plays an important role. Indian Statistical Institute provides Junior Research fellowships in Statistics for degree holders in engineering. Check out their website for latest updates.
There are business mathematics courses (M. Math) also that could be beneficial for students with interest in mathematics.
So, there are quite a few options for engineering students to make a career in mathematics, if they aren’t interested in engineering for higher studies. Research a bit on the above options and see which suits you better and make an informed decision.