We all have heard of IAS, IPS, and IRS officers, but many of us might not be aware of a PCS officer. The Civil Services run the administration of our country. To choose the right kind of candidate, they conduct various exams. Those who clear these exams are later appointed to different posts depending upon their scores to be a part of the administrative body.
Who exactly is a PCS Officer?
PCS Officer i.e. Provincial Civil Services officer is a prominent position attained by a candidate only on being recruited by the State Public Service Commissions. The State Public Service Commission can recruit only those students who have cleared the PCS exam for their particular state. The PCS officer looks after the state as a caretaker.
General awareness and knowledge
- Forests, agriculture, land, education, and revenue, etc. are the subjects that are dealt by the state civil services.
- It is essential that a PCS candidate has adequate information relating to the history of the state as well as have knowledge regarding the geographical details of the state.
- The awareness of what kind of basic problems are being faced in the state and how can they be solved or handled is also another question that the candidate must have answers to.
- Knowledge of the regional language, common customs, and traditions of the people of the state is also another quality that a candidate must possess.
Adequate amount of preparation is a must
The exams conducted need good amount of preparation to pass them out with flying colours. People planning to appear for this exam or any other civil services exam must have adequate information relating to our country as well as must have a brief idea about the current affairs.
A person working in the administration must have quick decision-making skills as the administration is also the backbone of an entire nation and thus only people who clear all the three levels of exams to get recruited for this post. The three levels include Prelims, Mains, and the interview round. A candidate, later on, being selected can only work for one state.
The duty that comes along with lot of respect and responsibilities
- The PCS officer manages duties about welfare of the state and the benefits of its people.
- An IAS officer works on an intermediate level whereas PCS officers manage only the affairs of their state.
- The PCS officers do not have to worry much about transfers as they are recruited only for the management of a particular state, so the question of being moved to another state never arises.
- There are several other duties of the PCS officers like, looking after the security of any politician or other respectable government personnel who may have arrived in the city, taking quick and accurate decisions in case of natural disasters affecting the state, maintaining harmony amongst the people of all religions and avoiding any kind of riots as well as maintain the economy of the state.
- Everything that falls under the area of a particular state must be looked after by the PCS officers through the help of other subordinate officers.