An important link between the company and its shareholders, Company Secretary is becoming an increasingly vital and good career option.
Every listed company, at the stock market, employs a company secretary to deal with the formalities involved in stock and trading.
The vital role of a Company Secretary further extends to all the legal matters that goes into company’s new investments, project deals, mergers, acquisitions etc.,
The course of Company Secreary would equip you with the knowledge of company laws, taxes and accounting etc.
What would you do in this profession?
A Company Secretary performs the following functions:-
- handling legal aspects involved in – formation, amalgamation, winding up, merger, take-over, acquisitions etc.,
- getting approvals for new investments and projects
- administering the issue of shares, dividends, bonus and handling shareholder grievances
- updating company’s information at the stock market
- liaison with government and other departments for
- central / sales tax, excise laws, corporate and labour laws
- organising and recording board meetings and annual general meetings
- keeping up to date with company laws and amendments
With industries venturing into new areas – mergers, takeovers, collaboration, getting listed in foreign stock exchanges etc.,. are becoming common, that brings along all the complex legal issues that are associated with it.
A company secretary with his statutory powers and knowledge of accounting and legal matters plays a vital role in every large and growing organisations to settle such issues, quickly and smoothly.
Thus, Company Secretary, as a career choice, is a positive one. The demand for which will see a continuous rise in the coming years.
What skills should you posses?
Students aspiring to become Company Secretary should have / develop the following skill-sets that would help them achieve a better success rate and growth:-
- effective and clear communication
- analytical mind to interpret facts and figures
- good understanding of business law and finance
- attention to detail
- time management
- sound judgement
- problem solving skills
How to be Company Secretary – Eligibility, Entrance Exams and Institutes
The minimum qualification to pursue the course of Company Secretary degree is a pass in XII or graduation (preferably – Law / Commerce)
ICSI (The Institute of Company Secretaries of India) conducts the company secretary course in India.
About Company Secretary course details, years of study, exam pattern, eligibility, training etc., visit – http://www.icsi.edu/
Since this field has matters related to Industrial law and finance too, an interest or sound knowledge in these subjects would surely help.
Here is a detailed video that helps in students knowing the positives of choosing Company Secretary as a career option.
Students who have completed their course of Company Secretary can opt for MBA degree, which will further enhance their career prospects for management role in organisations (see Finance MBA)