MCA after BCom is a good option if one satisfies the following conditions.
MCA being a Master’s degree (post graduation degree) for Computer Applications and B.Com being a purely Commerce degree there are a few things that a B.Com student need to fulfil and consider before s/he choose MCA after Bcom for higher studies.
All colleges have slightly different eligibility criteria viz,. for admission to students applying for MCA after Bcom.
The important ones being:-
- The overall percentage requirement in graduation ranges from 50% to 60%
- Some college insist on similar percentage range in their XII (12th / Inter) exams.
- Colleges also insist that students have Mathematics as a subject either in graduation or have passed XII with Mathematics.
Students needs to check with the colleges they are applying on what exactly is the eligibility criteria of that particular college.
Entrance Exams and Interviews
Colleges also require students to clear entrance exams before they are eligible for an admission.
NIMCET is a national level Entrance Exam to get admission for MCA course in various NITs.
There are other State level entrance tests, while a few reputed colleges conduct their own entrance exams to evaluate performance of the students.
Nature of Job and future
For students opting for MCA after BCom, to know what kind of work you will be involved in, is important, as you are completely taking a different career path.
In general, you would be inducted as a programmer in a company, working on software, systems, network, internet etc., and gradually with your skills and experience you will rise in status within the field.
Hence, it is important to check out all these factors:-
- Make sure you are confident of your aptitude/skills matching the requirement of this field (MCA) before you take the decision to pursue it.
- You may check the subjects in MCA and get an idea beforehand on what you would be studying
- You may also talk with students doing MCA, the teachers or any of your friend who is doing this course.
This will instill more clarity on what you are up to in the future.
There are many options after B.Com, which you can read here – Options after B.Com, if there are still any doubts.
The future is bright for the right skilled and confident students in the field of computer programming.