Before we discuss on MBA in Finance, let us talk about why mba in finance ?
In a corporate world, with cut-throat competition, organisation’s survival mainly depends upon efficiently managing its finance, which keeps it sailing through the rough weathers.
A Finance MBA (MBA in Finance) degree would equip you with all the nitty gritties on how to effectively control and manage finance in an organisation.
It’s a comprehensive degree that not only covers managing routine financial needs, but provides in-depth knowledge on investments, securities brokerage, economics, market analysis and other management related functions.
What would you do in this profession?
As a financial officer, with an MBA, you would be involved in the following functions:-
- Compilation and analysis of financial information for top management
- Analysing and assessing feasibility of projects vis-à-vis funds available
- Measuring risks and benefits of new projects (mergers, acquisitions etc.,)
- Design strategies to raise capital and its effective utilisation
- Analysing the legal aspects that goes into new business, investments etc.,
Career prospects – Why mba in finance ?
An MBA Finance degree opens up a greater and much wider scope of career enhancement and prospects compared to other accounting degrees, as it covers various aspects of accounting and managing finance viz., investments, securities, business, banking etc..,
With industries on a growth trend and take-overs, mergers, acquisitions, foreign investments etc., becoming more common, a degree in MBA, with broad knowledge in finance, will make you standout from the pack.
Interaction and reporting to the management also ensures faster recognition and quicker rewards for the talented and bright MBA students.
In short, career wise, MBA Finance ranks top in accounting degrees with regard to position, job enhancement and pay.
What skills should you posses?
It’s important that students have / develop the following skill-sets to attain a higher rate of success:-
- good numerical ability (accounting calculations)
- good reasoning skill (understanding the pros & cons)
- ability to make and implement decisions
- communicate expressly and clearly
- logical approach and problem solving skill
- attention to detail (as missing/overlooking a point, may cost you millions)
Eligibility, Entrance Exams and Institutes
The minimum requirement to become an MBA is a bachelor’s degree (any stream).
The entrance exams for various institutes are:-
Students however can start preparations for the entrance exams after their XII (Inter).